Wednesday, August 20, 2008

What It Takes to Make a Blanket These Days




When I woke up this morning I decided it was NECESSARY that I accomplish something from start to finish. This is because my life has been feeling very chaotic lately. Benjamin is almost 6 months old and still does not sleep well in a crib. I gave in too easily when he was a newborn and let him sleep in his swing but he's getting so heavy now that the swing doesn't swing ... it just squeaks! He still likes to be swaddled which is a bit hilarious since he is close to 20 pounds! Now I am "sleep training" Ben to sleep in a crib and because I'm such a total lightweight when it comes to crying this sleep training has been going on for weeks now ... somebody please help me! To top things off, Anna starting jumping out of her crib (literally). The poor thing landed flat on her back once so obviously this is dangerous and now I am training her to sleep in a toddler bed ... yikes!! I used to look forward to nap time and bed time but I have been dreading it lately because I know my tired little girl with glazed over eyes is going to come out and out and out of her room several times before she gives in. My husband, Jason, has been working torturous hours as well which just adds to the madness. Because of these factors I just haven't been able to get much done lately!

This is how it unfolded:

7 AM - 7:30 AM -- Feed and play with Benji after he wakes up; pick out fabric that inspires me to create something fun today

7:30-8:30 AM -- Cuddle with Anna after she wakes up, breakfast, change clothes (shower is not an option today)

8:30 AM - 9:00 AM -- Takes me 30 minutes to put Benji down for a nap

9:00 AM - 9:30 AM -- Cut fabric and get supplies ready

9:30 AM -- Benji's awake (way too short of a nap!)

9:30 - 11:30 AM -- After setting up sewing machine the power goes out! First time this summer ... just my luck!

11:30 - 12:00 PM -- Lunchtime

12:00 - 3:00 PM -- The kids are tired and it's battle of the wills!

3:00-4:00 -- Kids are still awake. I drive to my parents house because I don't know what else to do. I bring the blanket fabric with me. The kids are asleep within minutes of leaving the driveway ... finally! I long for the three hour naps both of them were taking a couple of months ago!

4:00 - 5:00 -- Mom (Lana) and Dad entertain the kiddos and the blanket is finished!!! It took all day but it was worth it to actually finish something I started (mom actually top stitched it because Ben was crying but I decided to cut myself a break =) ).

Soon this too shall pass =)

To see more photos of the blankey click here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there. He's almost there. We'll do it together.